Sunday 3 August 2008

Last look at the summit

We arrived on the summit just after 9am and half an hour had passed whilst we rested and snapped photos. Jonathan gave us the option to stay on at the summit a bit longer but we knew we had to get back down safely. The grande couloir would be thawing now and waking up as a result. The later we crossed it then the more dangerous it would be. We decided to start heading down in the next few minutes. I had my own quiet time to reflect on things and be inwardly emotive and philosophical before we left. My mother had inspired me to make this journey. I was pleased that I had made it for myself but also for her and all my family and friends back home. I waved to the sky as I had done on other peaks in case she was spectating. I knew that I probably wouldn't stand on this spot again so I knelt down on the high patch of snow once more and Julie snapped me as the highest person in europe at that moment one last time for prosterity.

No comments: