Sunday 3 August 2008

Not a cloud in the sky

Not a cloud to be seen in any direction from the summit. My barometer measured the air pressure readings from the summit automatically when I got there (the highest physics experiment in europe!). When I read them back later they showed that the oxygen pressure was 55% of the normal values found at sea level. Quite a difference. I was surprised it went down as low as that. It means that if you breathe at the same rate then you are basically working at around half your normal aerobic capacity. It's no wonder that some people suffer ill effects on their way to the summit. I think that if you are aerobically fit then it certainly makes a difference to how you cope with the reduced oxygen levels. Breathing deeply and maintaining a steady effort helps as well. I saw a few folk trying to blast for ten seconds then stop before doing the same again a short time later. They looked absolutely knackered. If you decide to come out here then get as fit as you can before your trip. Try to move as comfortably and economically as you can on the climb. A steady measured effort is what you want. Drink plenty of water before, during and after your days at altitude. Accept that some folk tolerate and adapt to altitude better than others even when they are very fit. I was very lucky in the respect that I really didn't really notice too much of a difference as I got higher up. No two people respond the same however so just bear it in mind.

No comments: